Umm, yeah! I don’t think I’ll every buy pasta again. Spaghetti squash is that shyt! I used it one week to make grilled chicken parmesan (bottom picture) and my boys liked it so much that my son asked me to make baked spaghetti (top picture) the very next week. I used low fat mozzarella cheese for the chicken parmesan didn’t use any cheese for the baked spaghetti. To add a little kick, I added crushed red pepper. Yeah, Buddy!
2 spaghetti squash
1lb ground turkey
½ lb Turkey Italian Sausage
3 teaspoons minced garlic
2 cans (29 oz each) tomato puree
2 cans (14.5 oz each) petite diced tomatoes
1 bell pepper
½ small onion
2 teaspoons oregano
2 teaspoons basil
1 teaspoon thyme
- Soften the squash in the microwave for about three minutes.
- Cut it in half and scoop out the seeds.
- Brush with extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) on the cut side and season (I like Mrs. Dash seasonings since they add a lot of flavor without the sodium. I usually use Garlic and Herb or Italian).
- Place the cut side down on the pan and bake on 375 degrees for 45 minutes.
- Remove the squash from the oven and loosen the “spaghetti” with a fork. Be careful, the squash will be very hot.
- While the squash is baking, place minced garlic in skillet and brown the meat. Add onion and bell peppers to soften during cooking.
- Add remaining seasonings and simmer until squash is done.
Please squash on a plate and top with sauce. Enjoy!
Photo Credit: Ethan Calabrese (I do not own the rights to this image)
PUBLIC NOTE: The opinions expressed in this article are the author's own and do not reflect the view of the I Am Beautiful 365, affiliates or partners.
I would consider myself a “late bloomer” into the fitness industry. Many trainers’ resumes list their multiple degrees and certifications in all things fitness. My history is a little different. Visit my website for more information.